Skills for Care
Code of conduct for health support workers and adult social care workers England
What is the code of conduct?
Code of Conduct for Healthcare Support Workers and Adult Social Care Workers in England
As a Healthcare Support Worker or an Adult Social Care Worker, you make a valuable and important contribution to
the delivery of high quality healthcare, care and support.
Following the guidance set out in this Code of Conduct will give you the reassurance that you are providing safe and
compassionate care of a high standard, and the confidence to challenge others who are not. This Code will also tell
the public and people who use health and care services exactly what they should expect from Healthcare Support
Workers and Adult Social Care Workers in England.
This Code is based on the principles of protecting the public by promoting best practice. It will ensure that you are ‘working to standard’, providing high quality, compassionate healthcare, care and support. The Code describes the standards of conduct, behaviour and attitude that the public and people who use health and care services should expect. You are responsible for, and have a duty of care to ensure that your conduct does not fall
below the standards detailed in the Code. Nothing that you do, or omit to do, should harm the safety and wellbeing of people who use health and care services, and the public.
As a Healthcare support workeror Adult Social care worker in England you must must:
1. Be accountable by making sure you can answer for your actions or omissions.
2. Promote and uphold the privacy, dignity, rights, health and wellbeing of people who use health
and care services and their carers at all times.
3. Work in collaboration with your colleagues to ensure the delivery of high quality, safe and
compassionate healthcare, care and support.
4. Communicate in an open, and effective way to promote the health, safety and wellbeing of people
who use health and care services and their carers.
5. Respect a person’s right to confidentiality.
6. Strive to improve the quality of healthcare, care and support through continuing professional
7. Uphold and promote equality, diversity and inclusion.